Monday, February 15, 2010

A molding project and more!

I have been wanting to add some architectural detail below the chair rail in my dining room and was considering several options. It seems many have had success with beadboard or beadboard wallpaper, board and batten, and molding. I wanted to try the beadboard wallpaper because I am intimidated  by measuring and cutting. However, when I looked at the roll of wallpaper available at Lowes, I was disappointed. It just looked striped to me.

Anyway, to cut to the chase I have been swooning over Thrifty Decor Chicks molding skills for quite sometime and she just makes it seem so darn easy! So, that is what I decided to try.

The molding is already white for $4 per 8ft. at Lowes.That and a can of white paint was in my budget. See all the gaps? Yes, this took a lot of tweaking...



View of dining room before (sort of)


After
And it's official. I should avoid all projects requiring measuring and cutting. Lets just say the other blogs I studied up on are right. A little caulk and paint goes a long way! 


I definitely think it opens the room, brightens it, and helps break up all of the brown and wood tones in the room. It does give a lot of impact for little money.





Before


After


I was also inspired by photos like this in the new Pottery Barn catalog with the pictures layered on a wire or tacked together to create a display.









We have a ton of old family photos that are fantastic in black and white that I have really wanted to use in our decor. So, this is what I came up with. I think I like it although I will eye them if we ever do use the fireplace... What do you think?



Linking To:


DIY Day @ ASPTL

Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Now I need to do the same to my living room! Looks so sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh it looks great. Did you cut the angles yourself? I'm wondering if I could get some of that moulding and make some frames.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks fabulous - You did a great job! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK I'm really thinking about trying to pull this off in my dining room. Did you fill the gaps in with caulk and then paint? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That made a huge impact... it looks great! I LOVE the hanging photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS! I am so in love with those pictures hanging above the fireplace. What a great idea! I have to remember this one for sure. And your walls look fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing and am so glad to have found your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a differnce! You have me thinking I need to do that in my home!! My hubby will just love you. :) I also am adoring the photo idea. Super simple but what a statement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is just gorgeous! I love the molding!!! Great job!

    Love it! Thanks so much for linking it up!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been following your blog for a bit now and think it's great. I'm awarding you the Beautiful Blog Award. Come by and check out the details/pick it up at:

    http://boyohboyohboycrafts.blogspot.com

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must have missed the bottom picture the first time I saw this. I love the idea of the pictures and clothespins. Cute!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great! I am hoping to talk The Hubster into helping do our trim in the dining room so I can finish it on up.

    ReplyDelete